Monday, March 14, 2011

Why Special Effects?

A note about my special effects art photography.  I realize that it will not be every visitor's cup of tea.  It may or may not confuse some people who won't get the reason for distortion in portraits and blurring of reality.  I would answer the question of why by asking why not. 

I know. I know it is not correct to answer a question with a question so, it might be better to say that, I like the mild trance effect that blur gives and the feminitiy of lace special effects particularly in portraits of women. 

Sand, blur, haze, fuzz, halo and other adaptations on conventional photographics interest me simply because they are the alternative to conventional imaging and what is possible by way of standard, sharp, clear and realism based photography. 

I like the idea that reality can be adapted in such a way as to give the appearance of a hybrid or mixed technique, photography as drawing (sand) or painting (blur) and the other metallics that commercial photography uses to a certain degree as well as Hollywood in their film posters etc. 

There is also something to be said for a return to the mystery of what it is to be without words, what it is to remember dimly and to see the world for the first time.  Intimations of these qualities of seeing and remembering are implicit in the special effects techniques I apply to photography, especially perhaps the blur technique. 

Waking from a dream, being born and waking into a new world of light and visibility, those qualities are suggested by blur at least, those are the things that come to mind when I think of what people who appreciate this style of photography enjoy even if it is only at the subconscious level or beneath the level of conscious appreciation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment